Pages

Sunday 26 January 2014

Banana Crumb Muffins

These banana muffins came to life via a much needed clean out of my freezer. The bunch of nearly black bananas had been taking up my important ice cream space for too long and it was time for them to go. Banana muffins, a much favoured baked good of my husband, seemed a good plan. I had a look at an all time favourite recipe website (allrecipes.com) and found these Banana Crumb Muffins which had over 8000 reviews (phew!) most of them glowing. They looked easy and I had all the ingredients on hand which isn't always usual. They were a huge hit and Blair loved them. He took half a dozen to work to share and reported back that they went down well. I took the rest to work and they seemed well received too. The only problem with this recipe is that the streusel topping is only crunchy for the first day, then it softens significantly. They're still delicious but textually it's quite different after the first day.  

Banana Crumb Muffins - a recipe by allrecipes.com but tweaked (of course) by me

You will need:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 mashed bananas (I used 4)
3/4 cup sugar (recipe says white but I used brown for extra flavour)
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract (I added this to the recipe)
1 tsp cinnamon (I added this to the recipe)
1 tsp allspice (I added this to the recipe)
1 tsp nutmeg (I added this to the recipe)
1/3 cup melted butter (reviews says to use 1/3 cup oil instead for better texture, which I did)

Topping:

1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
2 - 3 tbsp rolled oats (the original recipe doesn't call for this but I added it and liked it)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (recipe calls for 1/8 tsp but I increased)
1 tsp ground nutmeg (an addition by me)
1 tbsp butter

1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Line 12 muffin tins with liners or grease well.

2. In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients.

3. In another bowl beat together the mashed banana, sugar, egg, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and melted butter or oil.

4. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Spoon into the prepared cases or tins.

5. In a small bowl mix together the sugar, flour, oats (if using) and spices. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the muffins.

6. Bake for 18 - 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment